Place: East Village, Manhattan
Time: 2.5 Hours
Distance: 1.5 miles (approximately)
Meeting Point: East Fourteenth Street and First Avenue
You’re invited to explore New York’s dive bar scene with two bartenders who will show you where the best spots are for cheap drinks and good times. There are nearly 2,000 bars in the city and this tour will open the doors on some of the best ones.
Take a guided nighttime walking tour with veteran bartenders to learn the history of Big Apple drinking establishments and where the best secret spots are today.
Learn the ways of dive bar culture. You’ll come away with knowledge about the best local hops, top mixed drinks, and how bartenders can make a saloon come alive. The dive bar is a welcoming oasis of good fun: As Toby Keith sings, “I love this bar / It’s my kind of place / Just walkin’ through the front door / Puts a big smile on my face.”
Private tours are available when no public tours are scheduled. Contact Kevin Fitzpatrick to arrange a charter tour for two to 12 people.
This tour is limited to 12 attendees, which means you’ll get more attention from the guides. It’s the ideal way to discover and learn about the city’s dive bar culture. There is something for everyone, from locals to visitors. Note that drinks are not included in the price of tickets.
• 2.5-hour evening bar walking tour in the East Village;
• Visit establishments that have been open since before you were born;
• Learn from bartenders the behind-the-scenes ways of bars;
• Pickup tips on bartending and making drinks fast;
• Explore one of Manhattan’s most exciting neighborhoods;
• Take photos inside and outside of tour spots;
• Small group limited to 12 ensures personal attention;
• Discover the secret dive bars and saloons in the city;
• Learn about the East Village’s colorful history, from the Beat poets to the Ramones.
**About the Guides**
Kevin Fitzpatrick is the author of Under the Table: A Dorothy Parker Cocktail Guide. He has been leading bar tours since 1995. Joining him will be a veteran dive bar bartender with more than 15 years experience behind the stick, possessing a wealth of bar knowledge, stories, and dirty jokes.